[CQ-Contest] Certificates for ARRL DX - a great motivator for new contesters

Michael Adams mda at n1en.org
Fri Apr 6 11:15:59 EDT 2018

My $0.02: I'd like to see the Cabrillo "certificate" field adopted and honored, with the default being to send the certificate.

I'll admit that I was amused to get two certificates in the mail for last year's ARRL DX CW:  my semi-serious effort from home apparently won my tiny class, and the 90 minutes I spent Sunday afternoon operating a remote station in KP4 (because I was getting bored) also apparently won a different tiny class.

I can see new or casual operators getting a kick out of them...and if they were delivered a week or two before the next running, they make good advertising/reminders.

But for more serious/consistent contesters who may have large collections of certificates, or for those of us who strive for paperlessness, the ability to opt out (or to get a pdf) would be nice.

Michael Adams | mda at n1en.org