[CQ-Contest] assisted

Paul O'Kane pokane at ei5di.com
Fri Aug 17 05:23:25 EDT 2018

On 16/08/2018 20:43, Holger Hannemann wrote:
> The biggest assistance one can get in a contest are DX cluster spots! The
> moment you got spotted you've got assistance, period!
> It doesn't matter if you use the cluster yourself since the spot will draw
> others to you. You've got help!

All relevant technologies assist (or help) one way or another. Contest
sponsors alone get to decide which forms of assistance  are "Assisted".
They have decided it includes any technology, whether local or external,
that identifies the frequencies and calls of other stations.  Being
spotted helps, but it's not "Assisted", period!

> I wish contest sponsors and operators would be honest and accept that fact.
> There are a few positive examples like e.g. Russian DX contest, WAEDC
> contest , Oceania DX contest that do not offer assisted vs. unassisted.

I wish the sponsors of the Russian DX, WAEDC, and Oceania DX contests
would be honest and accept the fact that some operators prefer to find
and identify other stations all by themselves.

73,
Paul EI5DI