[CQ-Contest] Assisted

Stephen Bloom sbloom at acsalaska.net
Fri Aug 17 13:58:11 EDT 2018

I think we're going to go round and round on this and overthink it to death.  .  I know that assisted vs. unassisted is a much bigger issue in NA than it is in EU.  I'm not sure that is a good thing though.  *NOT* having a "boy and his radio" category in some of the EU and OC contests probably discourages new and "casual" contesters from putting in their best efforts.  Avoiding having a category because some will cheat is self defeating, especially when we are getting better at catching cheaters.  Having said that :)  what I sense is that folks want a "Boy and his radio" category.  Given that, and .. just ignoring cheating, because, no matter what, some people will ..here is what I think would be the simplest way to resolve some of this ...and yes, each contest manager would have to implement it in a way that made sense for that contestA distinct

Why not just create a "Boy and His Radio" category.  One operator, one radio, no use of assistance (and look, I know the devil is in the details, but really, assistance means acquiring data about who is on and on what frequency, using anything other than ones ears on that single radio.)  The one open question would be, whether to allow SO2R as part of this.  I'm 50-50 on this because, while SO2R is usually helpful, it varies widely by contest and you *CAN* win without it.  It's also about to get a lot messier defining what is and isn't SOxR with the newest Flex radios being able to do it in one box, and no doubt other SDRs coming along with same.  Still though, the "average guy" in this hobby has 1 radio, maybe a tribander and some wires, and often runs 100W.  Something specifically attractive to them seems like a cool idea to me and who does it hurt?

73
Steve KL7SB