[CQ-Contest] WWVB: What time is it? You mean now?

Michael Keane, K1MK k1mk at alum.mit.edu
Fri Aug 24 09:13:50 EDT 2018

On 8/24/2018 12:27 AM, Jim Brown wrote:

> I suggest that before going off half cocked on this that someone look
> at what CONGRESS has in their budget resolution!

In the budget labyrinth, the "d/issemination of U.S. time and frequency
via the NIST radio stations in Hawaii and Ft.Collins, CO/" (as it is
described in the President's budget request) is included within the
Fundamental Measurement, Quantum Science, and Measurement Dissemination
area under the  Laboratory Programs activity that in turn falls under
the Scientific and Technical Research and Services (STRS) account in the
NIST budget.

The  House appropriations bill (H.R. 5952
<https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/house-bill/5952>and its
accompanying report
<https://www.congress.gov/115/crpt/hrpt704/CRPT-115hrpt704.pdf>)
proposes a marginal (1%) cut to the overall STRS account but includes
report language that NIST should provide “/no less than the fiscal year
2018 amount/” for NIST’s laboratory programs activity.

The Senate appropriations bill (S. 3072
<https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/senate-bill/3072><https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/senate-bill/3072>and
its accompanying report
<https://www.congress.gov/115/crpt/srpt275/CRPT-115srpt275.pdf>)
proposes no change from the FY2018 amount for the entire STRS account.

Thus both bills would maintain the funding of NIST's Laboratory Programs
activity at its FY2018 level. Neither bill's report contains language
that specifically mandates the continuation of dissemination of U.S.
time and frequency via NIST radio stations. Although in cases such as
this that would be the clear intent of not agreeing with the
administration's proposed cuts.

Both bills have been reported out of committee and are awaiting approval
by their respective bodies. That would be the next step in the process
before possible conference and passage of a final bill that would then
go on for presidential signature or veto. You all remember the song
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFroMQlKiag>

Ref:
<https://www.aip.org/fyi/2018/fy19-appropriations-bills-national-institute-standards-and-technology>

73,