[CQ-Contest] FT-8 and contesting

ko7ss at yahoo.com ko7ss at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 4 11:23:00 EST 2018

FT-8 can be automated and someone will be cheating in an FT-8 contest.

It joins the list of unverifiable technology like QRP/LP/covert local
skimmer use/remote SDR listening RX/super high power OM4000 amps.

I have insulated myself from most of these (my) concerns by seriously
entering only contests that have a SOAB HP (A) category or that allow
skimmer use by everyone.

A serious op-til-you-drop effort can involve $$$ and vacation days from
work. FT-8 is fine for contesting but shouldn't be just added to the
RTTY RU in the assisted category. I would hope there would also be a
RTTY + FT-8 or RTTY alone category.

73, Bill KO7SS