[CQ-Contest] WSJT-X and DXing

Stanley Zawrotny k4sbz.stan at gmail.com
Thu Dec 6 11:18:43 EST 2018

Anyone who thinks that the brain is not involved with FT8 hasn’t really done serious FT8 operating. Casual operators either just call CQ or answer someone who is calling CQ. That can be done without too much thought.

Someone who is serious is probably working to add to their DXCC or WAS totals. To do that, you need to understand propagation. Then, you seldom wait for a desired station to call CQ. Many DX seldom call CQ, the same as other modes. They don’t need to because there are pileups. There is always someone to reply to once they finish a QSO. So if you want to work anyone other that the same run-of-the-mill stations, you have to constantly read the entire rx screen, looking for someone who is ABOUT TO finish a QSO. When you see them send RRR or 73, you start calling them then in order to get in the queue. If you wait until they call CQ, they will already be working someone else.

So, you see, if you REALLY want to add to your DX totals, you can’t be reading your email while DXing.

BTW, in order to keep myself motivated, I reset (in my mind and local records) all DXCC and WAS counts to “0” every New Years Day....for all modes. I manage to get DXCC and WAS every year. To add to the challenge, I try to accomplish both on each mode and on each band AND each mode per band. Think about it... no one cares if you have DXCC besides yourself. Do your relatives care? The challenge is in your own head.

73 & Gud DXing,

Stan, K4SBZ

"Real radio bounces off the sky."