[CQ-Contest] WSJT-X and Contesting

Paul O'Kane pokane at ei5di.com
Fri Dec 7 05:18:29 EST 2018

In the world of sailboat racing, no form of mechanical propulsion
is permitted.  Why?  It's a self-imposed limit on technology, as
otherwise the activity "grows" or "advances" into powerboat racing.
That might well be progress, but not the kind that appeals to
sailboat racers.  They're an insular bunch of luddites, rooted
in the past, and K0HB can't stop laughing at them.

Here are some sailboats in action. They are propelled solely by
the action of wind, waves and currents.  They are stuffed to the
gunwales with advanced technology, but there's not a whiff of any
other form of propulsion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mc5W0Fed6JE

Those indeed are K0HB's boats "which might sail at great speeds
above the waters."  They represent another "mode" of sailing, but
they are still sailboats.

In the world of competitive amateur radio, there appears to beno
limits, self-imposed or otherwise, on technology - even whenit
includes other (non-RF) communications technologies and utilities
- I'm trying to avoid the "I" word.

I like to think I have a long perspective on contesting, having
got my first CQWW certificate in 1962.  In those days amateur
radiowas special and we were special, the only individuals who
could independentlycommunicate with one another, worldwide. That
was the essence ofamateur radio - person-to-person communications
using ham-bandRF (our wind, waves and currents) as the medium.

The trouble is we're no longer special, because just about everyone
enjoys inexpensive person-to-person communications.  It seems to
me that, in trying to compensate for this sad state of affairs,
many of us are happy to embrace the internet (as if we invented it),
together with ever-more-advanced means and modes of communication,
including 100%-automated machine-to-machine contacts.

As contesters, and even with the best of intentions, we have been
seduced by technology to the extent that we no longer care about
whether we're undermining ham radio or "progressing" it into
something else.

In short, we have lost the run of ourselves, and someone needs to
shout "Stop".  Don't we have to do it, as no one else will?

73,
Paul EI5DI