[CQ-Contest] Contest Recording

MARK BAILEY kd4d at comcast.net
Sun Jan 14 13:01:31 EST 2018

Good day, everyone:

I am trying to figure out the best way to record contest audio from a K3 and an FTdx-5000 and to provide a separate audio feed for monitoring.  My first attempt was to use the "Line Out" from the K3 (works great and you can adjust the level from a K3 menu) and the FTdx-5000 "Rec" jack.  I put in a headphone splitter/amplifier and fed a set of headphones and two small USB voice recorders.

The output level on the "Rec" jack is way too low to drive the recorders - even with amplification from the headphone splitter.  I briefly tried the "AF Out" jack but ran out of time - was my mistake not using the "AF Out" jack?  It looks like this should work from the manual (300mV peak-to-peak versus 30mV for the "Rec" jack).

Has anyone successfully used the "AF Out" jack or another approach to make this work?  I need to have the same levels out of the two radios (the K3 can't be adjusted low enough to match the FTdx-5000).

I would prefer not to tap the headphone audio for recordings - the levels are hard to get right and different headphones change the behavior.  The "Line Out" sort of connectors don't interact with the operators settings.

73,

Mark, KD4D