[CQ-Contest] Contest Recording

Mike Smith VE9AA ve9aa at nbnet.nb.ca
Sun Jan 14 17:01:46 EST 2018

Hi Mark,

If you are trying to be in compliance with CQWW rules the key words are ( I
think ) ".as heard by the operator."

which is both the rules and a hint to the easiest way to do it.

I break the headphone audio to each ear @the SO2R+ box and feed it into a 4
port Behringer line amp ($50 on Amazon)

Stereo audio goes to a $50 Sony digital handheld recorder./

Easy/peasy.

dit dit

Mike VE9AA

Good day, everyone:

I am trying to figure out the best way to record contest audio from a K3 and
an

FTdx-5000 and to provide a separate audio feed for monitoring.  My first

attempt was to use the "Line Out" from the K3 (works great and you can
adjust

the level from a K3 menu) and the FTdx-5000 "Rec" jack.  I put in a
headphone

splitter/amplifier and fed a set of headphones and two small USB voice

recorders.

The output level on the "Rec" jack is way too low to drive the recorders -
even

with amplification from the headphone splitter.  I briefly tried the "AF
Out"

jack but ran out of time - was my mistake not using the "AF Out" jack?  It

looks like this should work from the manual (300mV peak-to-peak versus 30mV
for

the "Rec" jack).

Has anyone successfully used the "AF Out" jack or another approach to make
this

work?  I need to have the same levels out of the two radios (the K3 can't be

adjusted low enough to match the FTdx-5000).

I would prefer not to tap the headphone audio for recordings - the levels
are

hard to get right and different headphones change the behavior.  The "Line
Out"

sort of connectors don't interact with the operators settings.

73,

Mark, KD4D

Mike, Coreen & Corey

Keswick Ridge, NB