[CQ-Contest] Contest Recording

Jim Brown k9yc at audiosystemsgroup.com
Mon Jan 29 13:18:04 EST 2018

On 1/29/2018 5:35 AM, Kelly Taylor wrote:
> On balance, I find audio recording to be an inexact, ineffective and largely bureaucratic solution in search of a problem.

On what basis do you "find" this statement to be true? Have you ever
participated in log checking to detect rules violations? Or, on the
basis of your "armchair" experience BELIEVE it to be true?

I've worked at least a dozen DX contests QRP and others at legal limit.
There's a HUGE difference. I've worked both assisted and un-assisted.
There's a significant difference in HOW one approaches S&P with and
without assistance. These differences would be quite obvious by studying
an audio recording.

Someone asked about suitable products. Here's one from a well respected
mfr of semi-pro audio gear. It runs on a pair of AA batteries and has no
moving parts because it records to a memory card, so a fresh set of
batteries should make it through a long contest. All it takes is a
Y-cord headphone splitter and  simple voltage dividers on both left and
right channels so that it doesn't overload the external stereo mic
inputs. And, of course, your station must be properly bonded.

http://www.fullcompass.com/prod/186480-Tascam-DR-05

73, Jim K9YC