[CQ-Contest] CW SS: Some thoughts

Richard F. DiDonna NN3W richnn3w at gmail.com
Fri Mar 23 15:41:32 EDT 2018

Interesting stuff Tor.  Can we get a plot of the SSB top scores.
Obviously a year to year analysis is difficult to do - solar cycles
contribute to QSO count increases and decreases, geomag storms on a
weekend could do damage to a particular year, etc. Also, a top score
won't necessarily correlate activity given that Sweeps is a
geographically dependent contest and a lot of hams in certain geographic
areas may get on for a period that most benefits that operator and not
make his or her way into the top scorer's log.

The 2017 number is definitely down - lowest in a 20+ year period.

One thing that I have noticed is that the competition between PVRC and
NCCC is not as heated as it was 8 or 10 years ago.  I think having an
additional 50 or 100 stations on from PVRC or NCCC did have an effect of
bumping up the numbers.  PVRC numbers are up (107 in 2007 and 138 in
2008), but NCCC numbers are way down.

73 Rich NN3W