[CQ-Contest] CW SS: Some thoughts

John Geiger af5cc2 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 23 15:28:16 EDT 2018

Thanks for the data.  It is interesting to note that some of the highest
QSO totals came at the minimum of the previous 2 solar cycles.  Maybe we
will be experiencing an increase in logs during the next 2 years as we have
pretty much hit the bottom of Cycle 24/25 or are close to it.  Maybe when
the conditions get bad people are less likely to play in DX contests and so
they play in domestic contests instead.  I know that during the higher
sunspot years I go at it harder in the CQWW contests so I am kind of worn
out when Sweepstakes comes the next weekend.

Any other ideas for the pattern of data?

One thing I will mention also is that the 5 day window we now have to
submit logs is probably not doing casual contesters any good.  It is easy
to finish a contest, get busy with other things, and all of sudden it is
Friday and you no longer want my log.  Especially when they just changed
the format from emailing it to uploading it.  I can see many casual
contesters saying "The heck with it, my log is late so I am not going to
send it in at all".  Many of them might not really know how or where to
submit a log.  I would like a 10 day or 2 week window at least, does a 5
day window really get results published any quicker than 10 days?

73 John AF5CC

73 John AF5CC