[CQ-Contest] Online Scoreboards

Matt NQ6N matt at nq6n.com
Thu Nov 22 15:02:13 EST 2018

I've had a lot of fun using the online scoreboard during weekly CWT tests.

One memorable week I did unusually well out of the gate on 20m (which is
rare from W9 with a low dipole) and got to see my call jostling for the #1
score shown on the scoreboard.  It lasted only a short time, but it was
lots of fun to be able to enjoy that aspect of the contest, even though by
the end of the hour my score was in the range it typically falls, which is
not at the top of the heap.

Nearly every week in the CWT I get the fun of trying to edge ahead of some
of the other stations who usually achieve comparable scores. It adds an
extra dimension of fun and camaraderie to see the scores and positions
updating in real time.

A few details that might help convince others to try it:

- You can set the update interval.  If you are worried about revealing too
much about your strategic decisions, you can set it to update only every 15
minutes, or even less often.

- You can hide the band breakdown, publishing only your totals.  This is
useful for those who feel that showing the band breakdown might reveal top
secret dimensions of their strategy.

- You might be surprised how motivating it is to gradually overtake the
next highest score on the board.  Even when I'm operating casually it's fun
to watch my rank climb up a few spots while I'm having a good run, then
take some time off to deal with whatever non-contesting responsibilities I
have, and then sit back down later and see that the rank has fallen back
down, only to get another good run and watch it increase again.

I found it interesting that in Sweepstakes some of the top scorers did not
use the real time scoreboard.  All it takes to know someone's serial number
is to listen to one exchange, and most of the top scorers end up with a
sweep, so I'm not sure there's any strategic advantage to sitting out of
the online scoreboard in Sweepstakes.

I recommend that everyone just set it up today so that it's turned on by
default in your logger. It's sort of a pain to remember to set it up once
the contest has already begun.

73,
Matt NQ6N