[CQ-Contest] FW: [wsjtgroup] 7047!!!!????

Radio KØHB kzerohb at gmail.com
Tue Aug 6 17:33:03 EDT 2019

>From the horses mouth.

73, de Hans, KØHB
"Just a boy and his radio"™

From: Joe Taylor joe at Princeton.EDU [wsjtgroup]
Sent: Tuesday, August 6, 2019 7:37 PM
To: wsjtgroup at yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [wsjtgroup] 7047!!!!????

Hi all,

Let me assure you that we are very much aware of possible issues with
the initial, suggested, and expressly provisional FT4 frequency for 40
meters.

We (the WSJT developers) do not choose these frequencies unilaterally.
Rather, we consult widely, ask for public input, eventually make a
suggestion, and then change (if necessary) when/if a different consensus
emerges.

FT4 was openly released less than a month ago.  Initial FT4 default
frequencies clearly labeled as "provisional".

The following published documents that list the IARU recommended band
plans for Regions 1, 2, and 3:

https://www.iaru-r1.org/images/Vienna/IARU_REGION_1_HF_BAND_PLAN__2016_v2.pdf

https://www.iaru-r2.org/documents/explorer/files/Plan%20de%20bandas%20%7C%20Band-plan/R2%20Band%20Plan%202016.pdf

http://iaru-r3.org/documents

To summarize: The above documents recommend 40 m frequencies for CW and
narrow-band digi-modes (NB DM) in IARU Regions 1, 2, and 3 as follows:

----------------------------
Region    CW        NB DM
----------------------------
    1   7000-7040  7040-7050
    2   7000-7040  7040-7050
    3   7000-7030  7030-7060
----------------------------

It's clear that these band plans were not developed with the
possibility of explosive growth of digital communications in mind.  This
problem is particularly apparent on 40 meters.

Hopefully the IARU, ARRL, and other relevant organizations will
recognize the weakness of the the current band plans and start to do
something about it.  And perhaps an interim solution can be agreed to
while future band plans are being developed.

We're doing our best to be compliant with world-wide needs and to
respond to wishes of the amateur community.

It doesn't help to complain here.  Much more effective to give relevant
band-planning committees your thoughtful input.

     -- 73, Joe, K1JT