[CQ-Contest] WW-Digi Contest -- Rule Clarification

David Gilbert xdavid at cis-broadband.com
Wed Aug 7 16:11:15 EDT 2019

Yes, it can be done with WSJT-X without using Fox/Hound.  Here is how
K0PIR does it:

http://www.k0pir.us/two-instances-of-wsjt-x-running-simultaneously-with-two-radios-two-antennas/

He does it on two different bands, but with care on the antenna side I
don't see why it couldn't be done on the same band, and the current
WW-Digi rules would allow it for the single op category.

In fact, the rules specifically state that although a single op can only
transmit on one band at a time, it also says there is no limit on band
changes for single ops.  So if you put one rig on 20m and set its WSJT-X
for "Even" and put a 2nd rig on 40m set to "Odd", it seems to me that
strictly speaking you could call CQ on both bands and still comply with
the rules.

Maybe the contests sponsors are OK with all of that, but as I say, it
could get interesting.

73,
Dave   AB7E

On 8/7/2019 6:53 AM, cosson-dimitri wrote:
> WSJT-X can't do it without Fox/Hound mode but at least another freeware can do it !Using diferents rigs is the best way to have multiple signals inband. If you have several antennas for the same band, you will save 3dB on each signals (2 tones in the same signal = -3 dB on each ones so 3 tones...,)And then SO2R (in the same band according to the rule, I know multiple CQ are not allowed but you can S&P) : how many rigs and antennas (for each bands) are needed :-D
> 73 de Dimitri F4DSK  (not FT4 user, and not FTx contester)

I disagree that Fox/Hound is the only way to transmit multiple signals
at the same time.  I'm pretty certain I could do it with multiple rigs
and running multiple instances of WSJT-X (which WSJT-X allows) on the
same computer.  All it would require is different com ports and rig
assignments for each instance of WSJT-X, and the outputs would be
independent and therefore clean barring any nonlinear combining of RF
past the rigs.

73,
Dave AB7E