[CQ-Contest] Impact of FT* Modes on DXpeditions

Yuri ve3dz at rigexpert.net
Thu Aug 15 11:48:24 EDT 2019

I'd like to thank John W2GD for taking his time to comment on my post. Obviously, opinion of such well known and famous contester and Dxpeditioner is greatly appreciated here.
Also thanks to the Moderators for allowing this civilized discussion to continue. :-)

Besides some misinterpretation of the my words in the original post I would tend to agree with John on one thing - yes, there are SOME well-organized DXpeditions, Top World Class ones, usually 1-2 a year, that doesn’t' necessarily lean on QSL/donation support and his example of KP5 and KP1 was a very good one! But I have to agree with Mats RM2D that those DXpeditions were in the pre-FT8 days...

To defend my point I have to ask John 2 questions (since he chose to talk on behalf of ALL DX expeditions):

1. If you say that one of the main DXpeditions goals is to provide an opportunity for those running 100 watts (and those who probably don't use very good antennas), then why most, if not all, DXpeditions do not upload their LOGs to LOTW right away? I would see it pretty logical if the goal would be just to help those "poor souls" to get their new ones... Instead we see 6, 9 months and in some cases 1 year delay.

2. John, if you look at OQRS on CLubLOG and on some of the DXpeditions websites, you should have noticed that a lot of them request $4, $5 or in some cases even more for a direct QSL card. The cost of mailing a letter overseas from the States is now at $1.15. And in most countries this cost rarely goes above $2...$3. So, where the rest of the money goes? :-)

Again, I'm not judging here. I'm not saying it's bad. I'm just stating the facts.

And my original post was actually not about DXpeditions and donations, it was mainly about intended multi-channel streams in the future FT8/FT4 contests and how it is going to correlate with well-know PJ4G after which the rules for the ARRL Contests were changed.

Thank you.

73 Yuri  VE3DZ
Also 6Y2T  8P3A  8P9AA  9N1UZ  HC2TDZ  HD2T  N2WCQ  P40T  PZ5T  TO2U  UT4UZ  V31UZ  VE2IM  VO1AAM  VP9FOC  VY2IA  ZF1DZ  4J1FS (op.) …/FP  …/VP9 …/KP4  …/PP5 …/S5 …/SV2 …/TF  etc.