[CQ-Contest] ARRL DX CW Contest in QST

Radio KØHB kzerohb at gmail.com
Mon Aug 26 14:51:44 EDT 2019

Back when I joined ARRL….

…. my first years membership dues were $4.50
…. ARRL was a big North American radio club which included Canada on an equal footing
…. QST was the monthly club newsletter, with a monthly report of what was happening in each local chapter of the big club (remember “Section News”?).  QST contained the scores of ALL the participants in EVERY contest, not just the handful of category winners.  As a new ham in my very first SS, I tallied up a spectacular score of 2,226 points.  There it was, printed up in the QST results on an equal footing with contesting greats like W4KFC and KH6IJ.  The pride I had in seeing my callsign in the national club newsletter is one of the elements which gave me a sense of belonging, and spurred me to try again every year since.  New DXCC members were listed every month….  How proud I was when all the club members in North America saw that KG6AQI had achieved DXCC with 102 countries confirmed!

I could go on and on, but suffice to say that the big national radio club has been long be closed down.  (In fact, the Mythbuster in Chief has told us there never was such a club.)  At W1AW the gyro has tumbled, and ARRL has lost it’s way.   It has morphed into a slick corporate entity, distant and impersonal, and the mindset of “membership in ARRL” (once the hallmark of every good Amateur) has completely lost it’s relevance.

Financial support of the ex-club ARRL is no longer considered by me to be a duty,  it’s just become an increasingly expensive habit.

73, de Hans, KØHB
"Just a boy and his radio"™