[CQ-Contest] "Mid gun" WRTC 2022 qualification strategy?

Kari Gustafsson kari at sm0hrp.se
Tue Jan 1 10:08:30 EST 2019

Hi all and happy new 2019 to you all.

Nice with new rules, finally. Thanks WRTC team.

After a rapid read through the rules I am having difficulties seeing the "openings to compete if you are not a top gun'. I have not the competence to figure this out myself.

Could anyone elaborate on how this can be accomplished? Say you have access to fairly competitive station (not a super club station with 5 120 feet towers) but a modest with 1-3 pcs of 80 feet towers with decent tribanders and a shorty forty and a 80 feet top band vertical. How would you do to be competitive and perhaps even qualify with these new rules?

The new WRTC class? What would be the strategy with these new rules?

Add to that say max 12 participating contests (the bigger ones) over this period. Would a “TB-wires participant” have any change at all to quality by himself in this class?

I understand that some may think as “Hi guy this is something you would have to work out yourself” – why sharing this knowledge with potential competitors?   Or “Realize you have to put in the hours yourself to find out as we did to get there….”.  But I see newcomers in the hobby that we need to attract to contesting with sharing the possibilities to joint this category of ham radio. Here in SM. LA and OH-land the average ham age is 60 +.  Consequently, the number of active contesters are now becoming so scarce that you may win many of the bigger contests with  only a “few QSO:s”. We need to combine our forces to staying alive in the ham community. Here I am trying to figure out the possibility with WRTC 2022 to improve the situation.  Any thoughts?

Looking forward hearing your thoughts.

73 Kari SM0HRP

P.S. Love contesting but I have a demanding wife to share the available time slots with 😉 http://remotedxandcontestblog.sm0hrp.se/.