[CQ-Contest] "Mid gun" WRTC 2022 qualification strategy?

k5zd at charter.net k5zd at charter.net
Wed Jan 2 01:44:30 EST 2019

"openings to compete if you are not a top gun" - I think this was an
aspirational marketing statement. :)
Qualifying is a numbers game.
You are in qualifying region EU#1. That means you don't worry about
any scores that are outside of SM, OH, ES, JW, JX, OH0, OJ0, TF, and
UA1.
There can be only 2 TL from that region. So you need to finish in the
top 2 or hope that someone above you decides not to apply.
To get the max qualifying points, you need to have the highest SOAB HP
score of anyone in that region. Or you need to operate in the
WRTC-MS/-M2 category (but can't know for sure until they are defined).
If you work any other category, you may give up some points due to the
category weighting. Assisted has a weighting of .95 so you may find it
is more fun and competitive to give up the .05 weighting.
Each contest gives different points. CQWW, Russia DX, and WAE all give
the most points. So maximize operating in those as much as you can.
There isn't that much difference in the contest points, so you may
find it easier to get a higher score against less competition by
working the All Asia or ARRL DX (max 800 points).
Another path is to do 4 of the contests as a guest op in another
region with less participants where it might be easier to get the full
1000 points. Or find a bigger local station to borrow. Tell your wife
you will be away and she won't have to listen to you making noise all
weekend. :)
Prepare your wife that this will be a 2 year marathon of contests. You
need to work as many as you can because you never know which ones will
produce the most qualifying points.
My advice is to have fun in every contest and do the best you can.
Much of qualifying will be out of your control beyond doing your best.
73
Randy, K5ZD

PS - I am responding here because I do not want to use the Google
groups email list that wrtc2022 has set up. Apologies to the
cq-contest readers for the bandwidth.