[CQ-Contest] FT8 discussion WRT contesting

Gary K9GS garyk9gs at wi.rr.com
Fri Jan 18 21:04:50 EST 2019

I'm not a digital guy, just my preference and don't really have much of an opinion on it.  Mostly what I hear from others.  This past FD we set up FT8 on 6m.  It was a complete waste of time.  I think we had 15 QSOs.
It seems the problem is that everyone wants to make this mode into something it is not.  It is a great HF weak signal mode.  Now that they have the DX pedition mode figured out it's pretty good for that too.
What it's NOT is a good mode for contesting. rag chewing, passing traffic, etc.  But we keep wanting to pound this square peg into a round hole as evidenced by this thread and the silly gyrations to use this mode with contest logging software.
This is evidenced by the top scores in RTTY RU..none used FT8, at least SO.
Let's stop pounding that peg and expecting it to fit.

73,
Gary K9GS