[CQ-Contest] WRTC - NOT 2022 BUT THE FUTURE

Trent Sampson vk4ts at outlook.com
Tue Jan 22 16:21:34 EST 2019

What are we trying to achieve with WRTC?

Not 2022 but the future.

If it is a contester get together with a feel-good outcome, then we just need a hotel with a bar.

If we want to make it a challenge for the best of the best from all over the globe, then we need criteria that will achieve same.

>From Zone 33 to work into EU on 160M it is akin to shooting ducks in a barrel - from VK and ZL to work EU on 160 it is an achievement -even with large beverages low noise and big verticals it is hard work.

Do we need to follow the IARU model, noting it is the IARU Contest it is based on and determine a selection criterion based on the IARU member societies and allow qualification nomination to come from the societies?

What benefit is there of allowing Youth contesters? It makes us feel good - but frankly what is the point of allowing a soft goal to youth? What is the point of Wild Cards?

The Olympics has a separate competition for Youth - maybe we could follow in 2026 or even a separate competition for the disabled.

It needs to start now so that the criteria is well established before the end of the 2022 event but change does need to happen.

Will be interested in the feedback

73

Trent VK4TS