[CQ-Contest] WRTC - NOT 2022 BUT THE FUTURE

Sterling Mann kawfey at gmail.com
Tue Jan 22 17:10:54 EST 2019

If WRTC ever gets televised on ESPN, I would consider that a smashing
success. I almost consider radiosport an e-sport, and it would even be
interesting to see WRTC streamed and commentated on Twitch.tv.

>What benefit is there of allowing Youth contesters? It makes us feel good
- but frankly what is the point of allowing a soft goal to youth?

Ham radio greatly benefits from the introduction of new hams - like young
people - through large public displays of involvement by youth. If makes
sense to me to have at least *some* youth interest in the world's premiere
radiosport championship not to make us feel good, but to say to the world
"Hey kids, you can do this too." And for ham radio, I think there's always
a desperate need for young blood.

Are you implying that we remove the WRTC youth category and either have
young people compete at the same level of everyone else assuming they
qualify OR restrict WRTC competitors to a certain age minimum (what is
youth in reference to ham radio anyway?)

A youth only WRTC sounds interesting. YOTA has made strides in the youth
contesting arena, starting the Youth Contesting Program
<https://www.ham-yota.com/youth-contesting-program/> in IARU R1, and in
IARU R2, K3LR is hosting Team Exuberance
<https://www.gofundme.com/team-exuberance> for CQ WPX SSB this year, and
more plans are in the works (saving the spoilers for this week's ARRL
Contest Update). I think I would be amiable to the idea. I'd also like to
see a Youth category or identifier (i.e. it doesn't pit your score against
only other youths, unlike say a College category) in contests.

--Sterling N0SSC