[CQ-Contest] AA5VU, SK

Mike k4gmh at arrl.net
Sun Jan 27 10:48:58 EST 2019

Thanks Ken for the news about Dick, AA5VU, as sad as it is.

When I saw the announcement from Ken about Dick's passing, the first thing
that came to mind was the first time I worked Dick.  It was in a contest
and thought I had copied Dick's call wrong and sent the exchange using
"AA5AU".  Dick came back to me and said his call is "AA5VU AA5Very Ugly".
At this point I figured it would be more fun to chat with this AA5VU rather
than keep up the exchange rate, so sent back to him, "sorry thought you
were a friend of mine AA5AU AA5Awful Ugly".  Dick's response was that he
had worked AA5AU earlier and had a few others who came back with AA5AU
instead of AA5VU.

As would have it, as soon as Dick and I finished the exchange, Don, AA5AU,
jumped in letting us know that he had listening to our exchange and
commented on the phonetics I had used for his call😊.

That first exchange with Dick and all that surrounded it seared into my
mind a bit of a deeper friendship than just a casual contest contact.  From
then on whenever I would work Dick in a contest, I always thought of our
first QSO.    I think Dick had the same feeling as we usually took a little
extra time to send a "73" or "gl" as part of our contest exchange.

Thanks for all the QSOs, Dick, rest in peace my friend.

  73,
  Mike, K4GMH