[CQ-Contest] possible changes for CQ VHF Contest

Edward Sawyer EdwardS at sbelectronics.com
Wed Jul 24 08:52:10 EDT 2019

I thought that was likely the source.

It’s a very common misconception that Clublog logs pick up all of the “traffic” on the air.  I tested this theory a month or so ago.

I called CQ on SSB for an hour and called CQ on CW for an hour.  I worked about 100 stations.  This was a weekday evening with a mix of NA, SA, and Eu stations.  I then looked up each call to see how many were log uploaders to Clublog.  The answer, only 20% of that “traffic” uploaded to clublog.

Beware of assumptions on data.

75% of clublog uploaders may be FT8 – to your point probably higher.  But that does not represent the HF traffic at all.  Even clublog itself has a statement about drawing wide conclusions from its log data.

Ed  N1UR