[CQ-Contest] possible changes for CQ VHF Contest

rjairam at gmail.com rjairam at gmail.com
Wed Jul 24 09:06:31 EDT 2019

It’s an undeniable statistic regardless but two more pieces of data stand
out:

Paper bureau QSL volume is now increasing and FT8 is a significant
proportion of those cards. I’ve confirmed this in at least two QSL bureaus
(W2 and W7).

The band when viewed on a waterfall display, has always something on FT8,
whereas many times there is little to none of other modes.

What would be interesting is comparing RBN to PSKReporter, but even from
casual glance, the stats on PSKR exceed RBN by a large number. Both of
these methods directly measure on-air activity and not logged contacts.

There is absolutely no denying the popularity of these modes. It’s also
easy to see why - they enable every ham even with almost no antenna to make
contacts. There’s also no need to have a mic and interfere with others
nearby and (sadly) no need to learn CW.

My view is we need to adapt to this, respect the old ways but also coach
the newcomers and those who use this mode, rather than cast out and exclude
them.

And in our own game, we need to recognize that it changes from time to time
and adapt.

Ria
N2RJ