[CQ-Contest] possible changes for CQ VHF Contest

Peter Sundberg sm2cew at telia.com
Wed Jul 24 11:20:42 EDT 2019

Good question Ed!

Many use Clublog as their source of information when making such
quotes and I can assure you that the digi crowd are certainly
uploading more contacts there than all of us who are on the bands
daily to find old friends and new acquaintances to chat with.

And for some reason, maybe because of the very limited ability to
transfer of info in FT8, they have to spot their QSOs on the cluster
to say "Thanks, -7" (which is SSB quality). So in my view these are
not real spots intended to highlight someones activity, instead it's
a social interaction on the cluster network, that is not supposed to
be a social media platform.

So we can't really use the cluster either as a source of data in this
regard as there are so many other QSOs in other modes that are never
spotted because it is considered unethical to do so.

I guess the experts are fully propagating the marketing created by
someone who invented the mode and they are doing it for free.
Actually, people now fully believe that they can not work stations on
6m unless they are using FT8.

As far as contesting is concerned, this in itself is a strong
indicator that they must be in their own class.

73
Peter SM2CEW