[CQ-Contest] FT4 *is* a contesting mode. Was: WSJT-X 2.1.0-rc6

Jeff Clarke ku8e at ku8e.com
Wed Jun 5 16:22:08 EDT 2019

I was on 6 meters last night for the first time this season. The band
was open really good from here in Georgia to the east coast of the US.
Unfortunately there wasn't much activity on either CW or SSB.  I made
about 20 QSO's but in the pre-FT8 days I would have had a pileup and
made over a hundred. Tuned up to 50313 and heard a bunch of the tones
that identify a FT8 signal. I guess FT8 is now the new mode of choice on
6 meters. I always thought it was just a mode to go to when signals were
below the noise level when the band appeared to be dead.

I suppose I will have to hookup FT8 again to make many QSO's in the June
VHF Contest this weekend.  Or do I need to upgrade to FT4 to make
QSO's?  I experienced the same thing as W5TD in last year's June VHF
contest. Lots of signals on FT8 but only worked maybe half the people I
called. I'm running 500 watts and a 5 element yagi so I would've thought
I might have had  a better result. FT8 has been advertised as a mode to
go to when you don't have a big station but I really haven't found that
to be the case. You still need to have a decent antenna and running more
than 100 watts definitely helps. Personally I wish the ARRL and CQ
wouldn't allow FT8 in it's VHF contests.

Hopefully people will operate some CW and SSB in the contest this weekend.

Jeff