[CQ-Contest] CWOPS CWT Tactics

Mark - N5OT r-emails at n5ot.com
Wed Jun 26 11:23:22 EDT 2019

Hey Pete,

I did 111 QSOs with a 40 meter vertical and one radio.  I was running
1000 watts output.  The last 25 QSOs were on 20 meters where I had to
use a tuner in the shack to make the 40 meter vertical work.

The serious guys (AA3B et al) are SO2R, or whatever they call that
new-fangled thing where you hold down a CQ frequency on each of multiple
bands simultaneously.  Still, 47 QSOs in 10 minutes is very impressive!

Anyway, I gave up SO2R - wow - about 10 years ago, because it made
contest operating a little too much like work.  Today I S&Pd up 40
meters until I found a clear frequency and set up shop.  I stayed there
until the rate dropped below 120 and moved to 20 meters.  Mostly S&P
there with the silly vertical.

The 1300Z CWT is the one that fits my day best.  I try to get on for
it.  It is definitely huge fun.

73 - Mark N5OT