[CQ-Contest] CWOPS CWT Tactics

K4RO Kirk Pickering k4ro at k4ro.net
Wed Jun 26 16:23:25 EDT 2019

1) Operate as many CWTs as you can. Call sign and exchange recognition
will become second nature after working the same folks every week for a
few years. Plus, you'll improve your skills with each event.

2) Run as fast as you can go. Average speed this morning was 37 wpm.

3) Have a strong clean signal, and be able to hear well.

4) Time is of the essence in a one-hour contest -- don't waste seconds.

For the record, I very rarely dual-CQ in the CWTs, and usually only when
about to QSY to another band. Mostly, I'm just running as fast as
possible, occasionally picking off a second radio QSO with
"old-fashioned" SO2R.

73, --Kirk K4RO