[CQ-Contest] FT4 - Robotic Contesting

Steve London n2icarrl at gmail.com
Fri May 3 14:44:31 EDT 2019

On 05/03/2019 09:26 AM, Dave Hachadorian wrote:
> I have done both FT4 and RTTY contesting. Let me compare them.
>
> RTTY
> Using a heavy-duty 1500 watt amplifier, I call CQ CONTEST.
> A station comes back, automatically goes into N1MM's GRAB box, and I hit INSERT.

Only the strongest station is decoded when there are multiple callers, or the
operator uses his/her skill to time their S&P call.

> N1MM sends a bogus 599 plus the exchange.  The other station's exchange data
> gets filled automatically from a call history file.
> I hit ENTER, and TU QRZ gets sent.
> Repeat all above
>
> FT4
> I click ENABLE TX, and a CQ gets sent, using only a 100 watt exciter.
> A station comes back, gives me a real signal report and exchange, and the

Multiple stations come back simultaneously and are decoded. An algorithm in
WSJT-X picks one of them.

Do you really like the idea that your station, that you have been improving for
years to be loud, can now be selected against by a K1JT algorithm that chooses
the weakest, not the strongest calling station ?

73,
Steve, N2IC