[CQ-Contest] Paul Newberry, N4PN

jimk8mr at aol.com jimk8mr at aol.com
Wed Nov 6 19:29:54 EST 2019

Indeed I too am very sorry to hear about this.
In addition to Paul being good for hundreds of QSOs over the years in the various state QSO parties, not to mention all those other contests, I had another personal link. The first time I met Paul was in November 1999 when we were both on a DXpedition to Brunei and 9M6, where from the later we did CQWW CW. This was the year before the Multi-2 category came into existence, so we did M/S. Might I just say Paul was a great BIC operator back then as well, so every time I suggested he might want a break from the run station, he seemed to say "No problem, I'm doing fine". So while I did get some run time, I also spent a lot of time at the mult station :-) .
The other memory from the trip was sitting around in the hotel room in Brunei, where I was listening on headphones to a local FM station playing some sort of Muslim chants. "All Koran, All the Time". I must of been humming along, for once I gave Paul the headphones he never forgot my weird curiousity in music.
I worked Paul a couple of times in CW SS this past weekend. At least he got one last shot at what he loved before he left.
RIP, OM.

Jim   K8MR