[CQ-Contest] Tower safety

K9MA k9ma at sdellington.us
Mon Nov 18 22:38:53 EST 2019

On 11/18/2019 19:36, Rich Assarabowski wrote:
> I've tossed around the idea of trying out a fall from a few
> feet, just to see how well these body harnesses and fall arresters work and
> what it feels like, but he definitely talked me out of that idea!!

I have just suspended myself from the harness, etc, just to see how it
felt. If that doesn't work, arresting a fall will definitely hurt. A lot.

> 3)      I think the ideal situation would be to have a safety cable
> permanently attached to the tower, such that you have very little slack in
> the the fall-arrest lanyard at all times.  That would minimize the forces
> involved if you were to fall.   I've never seen or heard of an amateur radio
> tower with such a system, which is common in commercial tower installations.
> With rotating side-mount antennas, a permanent safety cable is not feasible.

For my recent tower project, I installed a 5/8 inch polypropylene
lifeline and rope grab on the tower. It took one trip up the tower with
the double fall arrest lanyards to put it up, and another months later
to take it down. In between, I had a better fall arrest system and it
was easier to climb the tower. I still used the double lanyards when I
climbed on the top plate.

73,

Scott K9MA

--