[CQ-Contest] Tower safety

K9MA k9ma at sdellington.us
Tue Nov 19 10:42:36 EST 2019

I'm not sure who wrote:
>> As I get older I've been looking for ways to reduce the energy expended on
> the tower.

How about a temporary crossbar at the top of the tower, two pulleys, a
long rope, and a counterweight? (This is NOT a fall arrest system!) Sort
of like an elevator. The counterweight would be a bit less than the
weight of the climber and gear. It would go on the opposite side of the
tower.

You still need fall protection, but it could reduce the energy expended
climbing, and should be safe. A lot safer than a winch. This is clearly
something you would only put up for major projects, and take down when
you're done.

73,

Scott K9MA

--