[CQ-Contest] CQWW is an unfair Contest -- A solutiion!

Jeff Blaine KeepWalking188 at ac0c.com
Fri Dec 4 14:59:25 EST 2020

You make a good point Ed.  I don't like CW SS because I'm not a very
good CW op, relatively speaking - and you need to have some actual CW
skill to do well in SS.  CQ WPX CW is easy to work and for a guy like
me, that makes it fun.

For guys who demand a geographically "fair" contest, then the 160m SP,
RTTY Makrothon and the FT8 Roundup contests offer that. Maybe an
all-band CW & SSB variant of the SP grid-square distance based system
would be a good addition to radiosport.

Not sure about the persistent grumbling of the "geographical fairness"
of all these contests.  Most of them have been around for decades and
it's just another part of life that is not universally fair.  I don't
view radiosport as a reflection of the current ever-kid-needs-a-prize
society.  I do view respect for tradition and history as a cornerstone
of ham radio and personally don't like the changes proposed in these
contests (like dumping unassisted categories, for example), generally
speaking.

73/jeff/ac0c
alpha-charlie-zero-charlie
www.ac0c.com