[CQ-Contest] Path Takeoff Angle analyzer

donovanf at erols.com donovanf at erols.com
Wed Dec 9 12:30:40 EST 2020

Hi Bill,

Your email highlights exactly why the most effective contest stations
have antennas at a variety of heights. We usually observe the elevation
angles rise at the intensity of band openings improve.

Often weak low angle signals -- especially just as a band begins to open --
can't be heard at all on low antennas. Then later in the opening
-- when many signals are strong -- lower antennas often perform
much better than the highest antennas.

As sunspot activity increases over the next few years, contest stations
without low antennas will be frequently beaten out in pileups my
their neighbors with modest stations with low antennas.

You can never have too many antennas -- but this is very important --
unless they interfere with each other as they very often do.
It takes a huge piece of property to avoid antenna performance
degradation caused by multiple antennas within a few wavelengths
(or more) of each other.

73
Frank
W3LPL