[CQ-Contest] 15m Yagi question

john at kk9a.com john at kk9a.com
Fri Dec 11 10:07:19 EST 2020

Hy-Gain typically uses Ø7/16 element tips with a very thin wall, not
7/8.  I have owned a couple of Hy-Gain 20m beams that I used for
temporary contest antennas and never had much luck keeping the element
tips from shedding. I suppose rope would help but in my opinion there
are much better taper schedules.  Ø7/16 drawn tubing is a little
difficult to find, if you could find it with a .058 wall it would be
an upgrade. Regarding not being able to get the sections apart since
it has no conductive grease, depending on your environment it may
easily come apart. I never had trouble taking antennas apart in
Illinois. I did not start using Penetrox until I built a station in
Aruba where the corrosion was intense. Now I use it regularly
everywhere.

John KK9A

CAROL RICHARDS N2MM wrote:

Hello all,

I am re-furbishing part of the driven element for my 155CA. the
element uses two sections of tubing. The part that goes into the
insulator to the boom is 84 inches of 7/8 tubing swaged. No bends. The
tip is also 7/8 inch swaged and has a bend about mid section. My
question concerns the tip which was bent on its way down from the
tower. Removing the tip would be quite a problem since no penetrox was
used when it was installed. Does having a slight bend in the tip
really affect its performance?

Thoughts?

Carol