[CQ-Contest] SO2R Coax Stub location; outside?

Jeff Blaine KeepWalking188 at ac0c.com
Sat Feb 22 23:43:48 EST 2020

Here's the quick & dirty reply to the "get it in the right place along
the line" placement worry.

1. Build your stub and get it ready for install

2. Measure the amplitude of the 2nd harmonic on whatever the band you
are wanting to stick a stub in.  Say it's 40m transmitting on rig 1 so
you would look at the 20m 2nd on rig 2.  This is the baseline.

3. Now go out and stick that stub in whatever the MOST CONVENIENT PLACE
IS along the line.  If you have a remote antenna switch, that's likely
the point where the feed line comes off the tower and hooks into that
switch.  Don't sweat the location.  Just stick it on.

4. Back in the shack, check the level of that 2nd harmonic.  If it's
"good enough" - then you are done.  If it's not good enough, then you
have more work to do.

I find the generic single stub, pretty much randomly placed, to be good
for say 15 dB or better.  Maybe I'm just lucky.  Or maybe I'm just that
good.  ha ha.  But if the stub measures 25 dB on the bench and I'm
getting 15 dB in actual use, and let's say I need a few more to reach
"good enough" - then I can add in some extra feed line and see if the
attenuation improves (because that "moves" the stub to a more favorable
point).  Or I can whip up a double stub (which will have more
attenuation).  Or do consider something else that would reduce the coupling.

My point is that building and using the stub is far more important and
worrying to death about line placement.  You can always refine the line
placement later, if needed.

Stubs are a marvelous and wonderful thing!

73/jeff/ac0c
alpha-charlie-zero-charlie
www.ac0c.com