[CQ-Contest] Alligators

David Gilbert xdavid at cis-broadband.com
Sun Feb 23 12:50:11 EST 2020

Well, I agree that can be frustrating (TI1T comes to mind from this
weekend) but I think there can be various reasons for it.  High local
noise can be a factor, of course, but so can the use of omnidirectional
transmit antennas and directional receive antennas.

Also, I easily worked W6OAT last night but I had a lot of trouble
hearing other stations in the northwest even though they clearly heard
me.  I never heard you, and if you called me I apologize for not hearing
you.  My antenna is a 60 foot high Inverted-L, but I have a mountain
range that rises 2,000 feet above me less than 2 miles away.  I can't
think of any reason why receive should be so much different than
transmit, but that certainly seemed the case to the northwest.  It
wasn't like that in any other direction.  The majority of every
Washington or Oregon station I worked was in the mud, many requiring
multiple repeats, and I have a semi-rural QTH with typically low noise.
Two different Washington contest stations I worked told me I had a big
signal up there, but they were barely Q5 here.

I do have a BOG, by the way, but it points northeast and was unusable
anyway because of recent rain that cranked up the soil conductivity.

73,
Dave   AB7E