[CQ-Contest] There goes the Clean Sweep

Jeff Clarke ku8e at ku8e.com
Fri Jan 3 18:23:34 EST 2020

Mike,

The W7 call area land mass is much greater than the Canadian Maritimes.
You could take the lower half of QC and add in NB, NS, PEI and NF and it
wouldn't even cover half of the W7 call area. Plus those that live in
the W7 call area would tell you that the propagation from AZ and the
southern W7 call is much different than WA, OR, MT and WY north of them.
That would be like grouping GA, where I live, with ME.  We all know the
propagation doesn't even compare.

I sure hope you still get on the air (even if it's PT) just to hand out
your semi-rare section. I'll never really be competitive with my station
but still make an effort to get on for just about every CW contest (even
if I'm not FT) because it's fun. My station situation will never change
for the better since I'm semi-retired (with 2 kids in college and one
more to go) so there aren't really any big towers or beams in my future
unless I hit the lottery! Despite this I still manage to have fun and
have a sense of pride when I have higher scores than people who have
much bigger stations than I do.

Jeff