[CQ-Contest] The legacy of not working dupes

john at kk9a.com john at kk9a.com
Tue Jan 7 09:27:33 EST 2020

There was never a penalty for working dupes. You just had to removed
them from your log and not take the QSO credit for the second or third
QSO. I was never good at maintaining a running dupe sheet which came
with many contests where you wrote the callsigns in a numerical and
alphabetical order. I did this post contest and simply removed the
dupes. This was quite a task when I operated from the Caribbean and
made thousands of QSOs. For those I made a drafting board sized dupe
sheet and spent hours going though my log. Computer logging is so
awesome but please work the dupes!

John KK9A  (W4AAA last weekend)

N2RJ wrote:

When I first started contesting I fastidiously avoided dupes. But I believe
contest rules were amended to not penalize them, so now I log all dupes.

I guess some haven’t moved on from the dupes =penalty mindset.

Ria
N2RJ