[CQ-Contest] EU out of band on 160

Ron Notarius W3WN wn3vaw at verizon.net
Wed Jan 29 10:27:02 EST 2020

Hi Scott,

IMHO... no.

While I do not condone improper operation, and I know many if not most EU stations are not permitted below 1810 kHz... you did not operate improperly.  You operated within the terms of your license.

There may also be extenuating circumstances... for example some of these stations may have received special dispensation to operate from 1800 - 1810.  (Yes, I know that's highly unlikely, but it is possible)

I would also like to believe that the log checking software would catch any such violations.  If so, the burden or penalty ought to be on the station caught operating out of band.  You were not out of band.  (That's presuming, of course, that the log checking software IS set up to catch said violations)

However, I would email the Contest Committee immediately (if you haven't already done so) and ask for their decision on the matter.  It is the Committee's opinion on potential rules violations that is paramount.

73, ron w3wn