[CQ-Contest] WPX CW Signal Quality Concerns

Jeff Blaine KeepWalking188 at ac0c.com
Sat Jun 6 15:28:45 EDT 2020

This is no different than having a car that can exceed the speed limit.
Is it the fault of the car maker for providing car capable of excess
speed?  Or is it the fault of the driver.

The responsibility lies solely with the operator.  I know this is
probably a quaint concept given the larger cultrial trend abrogating
personal responsibility, but fundamentally it's the job of the operator
to run his station properly.  And that includes using slow rise times
for rigs that provide such adjustment.

Having said that, having the adjustment range covering this lower rise
times does make it easy for trouble as I know personally. NC0B kindly
sent me a note mentioning that I was clicking like crazy on a 160m
contest once.  Turns out I had never reset the rise time after doing
some testing a few years ago for K9YC on my rig - specifically looking
at occupied bandwidth vs. rise time foot prints.  But even in this case,
it is not the fault of the rig maker that I had the rig set up
improperly.  It is mine alone.

73/jeff/ac0c

alpha-charlie-zero-charlie
www.ac0c.com