[CQ-Contest] WPX CW Signal Quality Concerns

Jim Brown k9yc at audiosystemsgroup.com
Sat Jun 6 15:20:55 EDT 2020

On 6/6/2020 11:37 AM, donovanf at starpower.net wrote:
> Kenwood and Yaesu provide completely unacceptable 1 and 2
> millisecond rise time menu options and Icom is almost as bad with
> their 2 millisecond menu option.
>
> Why are ARRL and the U.S. distributors not communicating with our
> Japanese equipment manufacturers about the problems they're causing
> and enabling?

Good question. I first published about this problem in 2013, with slides
for a joint talk with K6XX, again 2014 with my analysis and summary of
ARRL Lab measurements.

In the last year or two, I've become aware of the massive splatter being
generated by most Yaesu rigs in SSB modes, which W4TV's analysis has
blamed on the way ALC is accomplished. I don't know if this problem
exists when these rigs are used to transmit digital modes.

I suspect a primary reason for adjustable rise times is a
"monkey-see-monkey-do" attitude on the part of the marketing departments
-- our competitors have this "feature" so we should too. W4TV has said
that the splatter problem is the result of playing cheap with the design.

73, Jim K9YC