[CQ-Contest] Excessive Bandwidth

Paul O'Kane pokane at ei5di.com
Sat Jun 6 18:18:13 EDT 2020

For as long as contest sponsors refuse to define "excessive bandwidth",
they give themselves plenty of wriggle room (the do-nothing option) when
presented with reports of key clicks or splatter.

I confirmed this for myself five years ago - and it seems that nothing
has changed in the meantime.

http://lists.contesting.com/archives//html/CQ-Contest/2015-04/msg00108.html
http://lists.contesting.com/archives//html/CQ-Contest/2015-04/msg00116.html

We need to call out offenders in real-time - while they're still on the
air, and when anyone interested can listen for themselves. It seems to
me that a good option might be to spot them with a suitable comment -
for example "severe clicks".  This gives a permanent, searchable record
of the allegations - to be  compared with whatever associated wideband
recordings some sponsors claim to have.   I suggest there is no good
reason, these days, for recordings not to have sufficient resolution for
this purpose.

73,
Paul EI5DI