[CQ-Contest] WPX CW Signal Quality Concerns

Jim Brown k9yc at audiosystemsgroup.com
Mon Jun 8 02:35:44 EDT 2020

On 6/7/2020 1:12 PM, Jeff Blaine wrote:
> My first mentor WB0SSB Larry told me to never insult another man's
> radio.  Even if it's junk by my view, and even if 99 out of 100 other
> hams would say it's junk.

Who insulted? Not me. Who said junk? Not me. It is, however, a fact that
radios that key that fast transmit clicks. I can't change that. When I'm
doing something that affects others badly I hope that friends will tell
me about it! A lot of what I've learned about life is the result of this.

> So if you really feel strongly about this, then feel free to start
> writing checks for new radios Jim.

It's not my responsibility to make other people's buying decisions, for
them, but I've been working and publishing for seven years about this.
ARRL Labs deserve a lot of credit for cooperating with me on the report
I wrote in 2014. It's unfortunate that their concerns for clean radios
didn't make it to the write-ups for the products that they review.

More to the point -- from his signature, we see that W7VO is an ARRL
Director. When I made the statement that you object to, I wanted to
drive the point home that these issues have monetary consequences, in
hopes that he will carry that point into the Board's discussions of the
issue. I hope that you and others will that point to their directors as
well.

73, Jim K9YC