[CQ-Contest] [Contest] 2020 June VHF Contest

Jim Brown k9yc at audiosystemsgroup.com
Tue Jun 9 17:23:19 EDT 2020

On 6/9/2020 1:13 PM, Courtney Judd wrote:
> have at it. I don't consider digi to be a real mode and see no reason
> why I should be asked to compete with it. This is my opinion and if you
> don't like it, hit delete and move on.

I use FT8 a lot on 160 for long haul DX that I can't work on CW, and on
6M for E-skip chasing grids, but I have so far not gotten excited about
FT8/FT4 contesting. That said, I see little difference between the
attitude expressed in this post and those who, in the '50s and '60s,
refused to switch to that new-fangled SSB.

I also fail to see how FT8 differs from RTTY implemented by stations
using, for example, N1MM or WriteLog with multiple decoder windows in
which one simply clicks on a callsign to start an automated QSO and
clicks on the report to enter it into the log.

Perhaps someone could explain the difference.

73, Jim K9YC