[CQ-Contest] [PVRC] Cut numbers and V47T SSB recordings

Jim Brown k9yc at audiosystemsgroup.com
Mon Mar 23 20:24:56 EDT 2020

On 3/23/2020 3:29 PM, Tim Shoppa wrote:
> The DX even busts Mike Delta as sent by the best stations.

I generally have good results with "California," clearly articulated,
repeated if necessary. For counties or sections in CQP/7QP/SS, it's
always carefully selected phonetics, always assuming that the other
station doesn't know the proper abbreviations.

For my call in really tough condx, I find that with "Yankee Charlie" the
other station won't get one or the other, no matter how many times I
repeat. Then my fallbacks are Yokohama and/or Canada." Another VERY
important element of phonetics under tough conditions is that a hard
consonant can be better than a softer one. That's why "Canada" sometimes
works better than "Charlie," for example.

Another important thing I've learned over the years is how to be "weak,"
either because of running QRP or working EU from NorCal with an antenna
that doesn't get over the next ridge very well. :) Many rules, including
never repeat anything you know the other station got right, and when
things are rough, don't be stingy about repeating your repeats. For
example, "California, California, California, California."

73, Jim K9YC