[CQ-Contest] SSB Phonetics

David Gilbert xdavid at cis-broadband.com
Tue Mar 24 00:05:01 EDT 2020

I totally agree with Jim, which is why I disagree with W3LPL. There are
some horrible phonetics in the common international listing.  Hard
consonants beat soft ones, short multi-syllable words are better than
single syllable words, long vowel sounds are better than short ones, and
commonly known words with unique sounds are best.  Here are a few of my
hangups on the list:

Canada is better than Charlie

Golf is terrible ... probably the worst one on the list.  Guatemala is
better but admittedly long.  Germany is maybe a better compromise.  Too
bad more people wouldn't recognize gator

Italy is better than India

Japan beats Juliet hands down

Radio should be better than Romeo

Sierra is weak ... Santiago is better

United is much better than Uniform

Aside from that, I'm always amazed at how many people when asked for a
repeat will keep giving the exact same phonetic over and over again when
it is obvious that they are down in the mud and probably have an
inflection or intonation that makes that particular word hard to
understand.  If somebody is having trouble with Alpha Bravo Seven Echo
I'll switch to America Boston Seven Equador or Able Baker Seven England
or anything else that might help the other guy out.

73,
Dave AB7E