[CQ-Contest] SSB Phonetics

pa5mw at home.nl pa5mw at home.nl
Fri Mar 27 11:35:09 EDT 2020

Same experience here:

'Mike'   at weak-signal  VHF/UHF SSB sounds  like  a very short '-aik-'  with hardly RF energy in it and thus goes lost.

I learned decades ago from seasoned VHF/UHF contesters to use 'MEXICO'   which at the weak-signal-level sounds like 'eh-ieeeh-oh', though is quickly recognized.

'Golf' is another too short one, but at least the '-oh-' part carries short but decent energy. Can't remember what the alternative was; 'Germany' ?

'Lima' indeed was exchanged for 'London'

Bad alternatives:

'Sugar' which carries only  like 'uh-ga'.

'Honolulu', which is to long and sounds garbled.

73
Mark PA5MW