[CQ-Contest] Key Clicks.... Continuing Problem

Paul O'Kane pokane at ei5di.com
Fri Nov 13 19:12:53 EST 2020

On 13/11/2020 22:49, Michael Ritz wrote:
> Not that it means much, but I am in the process of updating the ARRL General Contest rules to include "clean signal" requirements, including key clicks and splatter.
<snip>
> What I'm proposing to add "Each participant in an ARRL sponsored contest shall take precautions to ensure that all signals emitted are free from excessive bandwidth, splatter, key clicks, or other spurious emissions".

I'd suggest this would be better as "Each participant in an ARRL
sponsored contest shall ensure ..."

However, there will still be lots of issues to be resolved before this
rule can be enforced in a fair and consistent manner.

For example -
   What exactly is excessive bandwidth?
   How much splatter will be "too much", and how can it be measured?
   There are degrees of key clicks - at what stage do they become excessive?
   What does "spurious emissions" mean, and what level(s) will be tolerated?

Without unambiguous definitions, perpetrators will have all the wriggle
room they need.

73,
Paul EI5DI